Week ending 22nd November
- My week started by seeing one of the Y11 students I am mentoring. All of the senior team and Heads of House are mentoring two Y11 students each who we feel would benefit from some additional guidance and input at this time. It was a really positive meeting and I was impressed with my mentee and her willingness to work hard in the coming months. We are currently working on a Y11 revision programme, that will run from after the mocks and until the first GCSE exams. If you are a Y11 parent please look out further details on the website and forthcoming events.
- As always it is nice to connect with other schools in the area and this week it was good to further extend our work with St Luke’s primary school. Our Heads of Faculty have been visiting St Luke’s to look at how Y6 classes approach self-directed, independent working and have been then using some of these strategies in Chesterton. In turn we have been sharing our IT expertise with the primary school helping support their developments with the new primary computing curriculum. I really enjoy seeing these links develop, as I feel it really helps us improve the continuity of experience for students from primary to secondary school.
- I also had a visit from Kate Evans this week, Principal at Bottisham Village College, as we are going to be using their innovative data system which allows parents to see their child’s current levels of achievement online. We are really keen to develop parental understanding of the progress that their child is making; being able to use this new data system will really help, as it will incorporate our i-behave information and academic performance.
- We had the first of our Faculty Teacher Learning Communities this week. I visited the Science Faculty and they were working on how to develop collaborative learning in lessons. I am always keen to see this kind of development work happening as it leads to interesting and varied experiences for the students.
- We had our half-termly PTA meeting this week. It is always a pleasure to attend these events as I am always grateful to the parents for the commitment they demonstrate in supporting the school. During the meeting the PTA discussed various Faculty bids they had received and they agreed to fund a range of activities, including buying telescopes for GCSE Astronomy and GPS trackers for cats in geography (ask Dr Hutchinson!). The PTA also discussed funding a larger project to develop an innovative classroom, so please watch this space as to how you might be able to help support this in the future. Forthcoming PTA events are the wine tasting on November 29th and the Christmas Craft Fayre on December 13th; please do come along if you can.
- It was a great pleasure this week to be involved in the GCSE Certificate Evening on Thursday and witness last year’s Y11 receive their certificates and prizes. It was a very enjoyable evening.
- On the school website you will find the school improvement plan. Please look through this and consider the developments we are working on in school. There will be updates on our progress during the year, in this blog and on the website. I hope you will see the progress we are making when you visit the school and talk with your children.