Week Ending 23rd February
- On February 28th, at 2.00pm, at Shire Hall in the Kreis Viersen Room (or council chamber if numbers are large) there will be the final meeting to discuss Chesterton’s expansion and ability to take children within its catchment. The outcome is not a certainty: if you are able to show your support, by attending the meeting, this would be an excellent way of demonstrating how important this matter is to our community.
- This month Aldeburgh Young Musicians visited Chesterton to deliver a music workshop and speak about their young artist scheme. We are very fortunate to have four Chesterton students on the scheme and were delighted they chose Chesterton to host the workshop. A number of Milton Road students were also invited to attend. The day involved students participating in creative activities and culminated in an improvised composition led by young professional musicians. This was a very exciting performance and the students thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Thank you to AYM and good luck to all musicians who audition for the young artist scheme.
- Advance notice of our amazing West Road concert that will be happening on March 23rd – do look out for ticket sales.
- Congratulations to our GCSE Drama students for their incredible exam performance this week. All four performances were challenging and compelling pieces of theatre and are fully deserving of outstanding grades. Thank you to everyone involved.
- Under the guidance of our Director of CPD and E-learning, Dr Kath Hutchinson, staff have been trialling a highly inventive app called the “Thinking Kit”. Creators of the app came to school and supported staff in its use and they were delighted to see the innovative ways in which we are using the Thinking Kit. They were full of praise for the Chesterton staff and were particularly impressed to see that tasks that had been made on Monday evening, after the training sessions, had already been used in lessons by Tuesday lunchtime. Chesterton holds 8/10 of the places in the top ten table of number of Thinking Kit task creators and 10/10 in the top ten of number of downloads per author. These are figures not just from the UK but from the international market.
- The U14 boys’ basketball team finished their superb season with a narrow defeat in the national competition. They came up against a strong grammar school from Lincolnshire, who even had a GB basketball player in their ranks! The boys played superbly, with excellent attitudes, and were 17 points up at half time before going on to lose 92-79 in a very exciting match which could have gone either way. Congratulations to the following players on a great season: Panagiotis Kostantopoulos, Nicolo Del Maestro, Connor Young, Giovanni Pellegrini, Dujana Gacis, Felix Werdmuller, Dan Kroese, Jonny Potter, Erik Dahlin, Ilyas Abouelouafi, Ali-Reza Abbas-Hashemi.
- Students are currently completing a PSHE topic on sleep and Year 9 mentor meetings have now all been completed. Year 11 will now receive a second mentor meeting to make sure they are happy and confident in the run up to their exams.
- Next week we have our Year 7 Parents’ Evening; Year 5 taster days and our Honours’ Board celebrations: a busy week.